January 16, 2007

Potato soup.


Potato soup.
Originally uploaded by cheapandplastic.
This wasn't a recipe I had in my list that I intended to put in the book. The other night, I was just hit for the desire for potato soup. Now, most restaurants serve potato soup that is filled with enough cheese to give you stomach cramps for a week. But when I was a wee slip of a teen, my mom taught me how to make what amounts to fancy mashed potatoes, so it was easy to veganize.

That morning, I had gone to the commissary on my 17th hour of being awake, and accidentally bought watercress instead of cilantro (and I was so tired when the cashier rang it up, that I didn't care). I hadn't had anything in mind for the cilantro, and I didn't recall ever using watercress, but I decided to throw it in there anyway and hope for the best.

I was plesantly surprised, the taste of the watercress was definitely something familiar. I think I may have pureed too much of the soup, when it cooled a bit it was really thick. But still, I nailed it almost perfectly on the first try.