February 11, 2007

I would praise seitan, but i'm a little tired of it.

This past week i've been burned out on food and cooking. More than anything, I don't want to do any more dishes. So mostly i've been eating cereal and pbj (go healthy me!), and eating leftovers. Oh, and seitan.



I think when I walked into the kitchen that day, I wanted fajitas. I came out with this. I have quinoa, but have only used it once or twice. One thing led to another, and before I knew it I was wolfing down a plate of cajun seitan, tomatoes, onions, and red peppers with hot sauce infused quinoa mixed in. I went back for seconds and the whole thing was gone in minutes.



Seitan baked in BBQ sauce. I put it on pan toasted bread with caramelized onions. Why are there no pictures of the sandwich? Because I was in such a rush to eat it, the pictures came out too ugly for the internet.



A couple of days after I made the miracle cajun seitan, I decided to make it again so I could write down the recipe (I was way too hungry the first time). I started the quinoa, and then realized that I was out of diced tomatoes. Boo. So I made stew instead and added the quinoa to it.

I have one piece of seitan left. I can't think of anything I want to do with it, except freeze it.



This is actually the first time i've ever made hummus. I have the tahini, I always say i'll make it, but I never do and just buy a tub from the store. Today, doing the dishes won out over leaving the house to go to the grocery store, so I finally made some. I glanced at a recipe to make sure I wasn't forgetting the major ingredients (tahini, chickpeas, lemon juice), but I winged the rest of it. Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite so that's the flavor I chose. With garlic and cilantro. I'm actually not very found of tahini, I find it bitter. So I went light on the tahini, perhaps a little too light. It's good, but I think next time i'll add maybe just another tablespoon of tahini. I used one of those mega-cans of chickpeas so now I have enough hummus to feed more for a whole week.